What is PACE Financing?
What is Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy (C-PACE)?
Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy (“C-PACE”) is an innovative financing structure that makes it possible for owners of commercial, industrial, and other non-residential properties to obtain low-cost, long-term financing for energy efficiency, water conservation, seismic strengthening, and renewable energy projects.
C-PACE authorizes municipalities or counties to work with private capital providers such as CleanFund to provide upfront financing to commercial property owners for qualifying improvement projects, and to collect the repayment through annual or semi-annual assessments on the property’s tax bill. The C-PACE financing term may extend up to 30 years in some jurisdictions, resulting in utility and other cost savings that typically exceed the amount of the assessment payment.
C-PACE legislation for commercial properties has been adopted in 36 states and the District of Columbia and is now available in more than 1,000 municipalities across the country.
What are the benefits that make C-PACE Unique?
- 100% financing with no up-front, out-of-pocket costs for the property owner
- Positive cash flow and increased property value, even with long payback projects
- Alignment of landlord and tenant interests, as the PACE assessment, along with the cost savings generated by the improvement project, can be shared with tenants under a triple-net lease structure
- PACE assessment automatically transfers to the new owner upon sale
- Available for most energy efficiency and renewable generation projects, as well as for water conservation and seismic strengthening improvements in select states (see Eligible Improvements)
How Does C-PACE Compare to Traditional Bank Financing?
|Typical Financing Term||Up to 30 years||Usually 5-10 years*|
|Cash Flow Benefit||Immediate||Delayed**|
|Financing Can Stay with Property Upon Sale?||Yes||No|
|Pass Through Financing Payments to Tenants?||Yes||No|
|Avoid Borrower Guarantees?||Yes||No|
|Avoid Financial Covenants?||Yes||No|
|Avoid Interest Rate Risk?||Yes||No|
|Avoid Quarterly Bank Reporting?||Yes||No|
*Typically 25-30 year amortization
**Depending on term and variability of interest rate, the cash flow benefit may not materialize with bank financing
From Our Resource Center
Long-term, fixed-rate, non-recourse financing for energy efficiency, water conservation & resiliency projects for both new construction & building upgrades
Solar financing designed with features and flexibility to meet the demands of commercial property owners. Immediate positive cash flow with 30 year terms
Get Started Today
CleanFund provides better capital for better buildings, making financing projects easy and affordable. We also make it easy to run indicative pricing with CleanQuote.